Just got back from Atlanta (a three and half hour drive) and The Mountain express, aka the Earle/McCoury extravaganza. I went in with high expectations -- they were exceeded.

A large, appreciative crowd at the Variety Playhouse witnessed greatness Saturday night. There is combustion and (dare I say) synergy in the Steve & Del pairing... However, the contrast took another form for me, for a while...

Rather than a detailed review of this tremendous show, I'll simply shine a little light on a small dark spot..

Please visualize the great Mr. McCoury, his expressive and open face reflecting pleasant surpise at the sounds coming from his own voicebox and his band...

..and then listen as the great Mr. Earle -- onstage quiet and solo -- loses his (always tenuous) cool when a drunken fan begged for one song or another (I'm betting it was Copperhead Road, which was played with gusto later by the whole band). "Would you shut the f&#K up?!" (another roaring request) "Don't you know I could have you thrown outta here?" (another shout from the lout) "Man, do you even know I have a new record out?"

The guy shut up...or left...and to his credit Mr. Earle was his old pleasant self for the remainder of the show.

Two very different voices (and temperaments). One great night of music.

Tucker