> Well, well, well....maybe if they started playing folks like Dale Watson,
The
> Derailers, Duane Jarvis, Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Rosie Flores, Kelly
> Willis, Jann Browne, Heather Myles, Mike Ireland, Lucinda, Lauderdale,
Cisco,
> The Hollisters, Buddy Miller and Steve Earle they'd get those listeners
back.
Worked well enough for me for a number of years and although I am now
employed by a station billed as HNC, the GM is letting, actually encouraging
me to explore a bit.  After 6 weeks I am happy to report good feedback from
listeners on the inclusion of Honky Tonk Confidential (Hey Geff, put up a
big antenna and you can tune me in),  the current single releases from Kelly
and Allison as well as plenty of Dale,  some Derailers, Jr Brown, Heather
(lots of reaction) and so on....including healthy doses of the classics from
Hag, Possum Buck and the rest....

This is the second station I've done this and the listeners generally tend
to love it or hate it.  Fortunately, in my listening area,  the primary
country audience is made up of lifelong fans and folks who grew up on
country so very few complaints.  These same fans like some of the Nashvegas
stuff (and not just the usual trad suspects) including Tim McGraw and some
of the more pop oriented too but the complaint is, as has been pointed out
in countless listener surveys,  the lack of variety, the sameness, the
repitition / burn out and the tendency for the jocks to want to be comedians
or talk about stuff totally unrelated to the country lifestyle.  Radio
consolidation will make things worse, not better.  Do yourself a favor and
spend some time studying the low power FM proposals at www.fcc.org then
write a letter of support to the FCC and then to your congressmen.  The big
money groups have the Nat. Assoc of Broadcasters fighting tooth and nail
against this but combine low power FM (10-1000 watts) and the net and radio
as an industry sees billions going up in smoke.

Will Nashvegas wake up and smell the coffee?  Your guess is as good as mine,
but after reading the article I would tend to think they'll go towards the
slick teenybopper target market instead of the tried and true.  There are
however a few players in Nashville who are betting on a different playbook
and my hope is they will stick it out long enough to make it to the next
phase of country music, i.e. a return to roots oriented material/artists.
The usual complaint is that the over 30's don't buy CD's.  A recent report
from a major university showed the 16-24 age group so into MP3 technology
that they are going away from buying CD's.  I'm 43 and my contemporaries buy
lots of CD's, just not the new top 40 Nashvegas product.  Anyone know how
many units the OLD DOGS CD's have moved?

Mike Hays
http://www.TwangCast.com  TM  RealCountry  24 X 7
Please Visit Then let us know what you think!

Mike Hays www.MikeHays.RealCountry.net
For the best country artist web hosting, www.RealCountry.net