Whine, whine, whine. "I got to see him here." "Oooh, I wish I was there."

That's why I stay in Detroit.  Despite its present day music mundaneness, I
got to experience so much when Detroit was still Rock City.

First, if you Igster fans ever blow through town, be sure to hit Lili's in
Hamtramck (just 1/2 block away from my place). They have a virtual shrine to
Iggy, where he is worshipped like a prophet.  Occasionally when he's in town,
he'll stop by to take Lili out to dinner.  Wild as he is, he's one hell of a
nice guy. And I got to see him play at the place with a local band attempting
to do "I Wanna Be Your Dog" to about 50 people.

Second, I got to see Pretenders circa 1981 and The Clash circa 1980 at a great
place for punk rock in Detroit: The Motor City Roller Rink.  Mention that
venue to any alternative music aficianado over 35 whom grew up in thistown,
and a tear is libel to be shed.  Some absolutely fantastic bands played there.

Note to Paul Ameritwang: Just drove by the Latin Quarter (note to readers: we
both saw Red Hot Chili Peppers and Young Fresh Fellows there), and it looks
like it's being gutted or torn down slowly.

Mitch Matthews
Gravel Train/Sunken Road

np: Treorchy Male Choir "March of the Men of Harlech"