Now playing the star: Joe Henry
      Joel Reese     * 03/12/99
      Chicago Daily Herald

      (Copyright 1999)
        Joe Henry is done with the earnest singer-songwriter acoustic
     guitar thing.
        Done, finished, finito. Close the book.
        Henry, the guy who recorded two albums with The Jayhawks as his
     backup band and has long been one of music's best-kept secrets, is
     now ready to hit the big time -  complete with dapper suit and well-
     coiffed hair.
        He'll soon appear on "The Late Show with David Letterman," "The
     Rosie O'Donnell Show," and the pages of Newsweek. His new album
     "Fuse" (Mammoth Records) was mixed by T-Bone Burnett and Daniel
     Lanois, and boasts cameos by Jakob Dylan and guitar wunderkind Chris
     Whitley.
        "Fuse" also has a cool multimedia segment, with a droll interview
     with Billy Bob Thornton (posing as Henry) and footage of Henry in
     concert.
        And all of this is good. It's a good thing when people such as
     Henry become popular.
        The prevalence of The Backstreet Boys and Matchbox 20 merely
     proves that too many people don't know Shania from shine-ola. But
     when someone deserving such as Joe Henry makes it big, it's a victory
     for "our side."
        After all, he's one of the best songwriters around, with a Raymond
     Carver-like ability to capture heartbreaking loneliness and
     restlessness with a few lines. And his whiskey-rough croon is
     nothing short of a treasure.
        So this big media blitz is good, right?
        Well, kind of.
        There's just one problem: "Fuse," Henry's big breakthrough, isn't
     that great (. * * 1/2).
        Run, runaway
        In a recent interview from his home in Los Angeles, Henry says he
     intentionally moved away from his country-rockish past.
        "We call that running away," Henry says with a chuckle. But, as
     he notes, he recorded past albums mostly live in the studio "because
     I didn't know how to do anything else. That served my purpose for a
     brief time, but musically, ultimately, I found it very limiting."
        His 1996 near-masterpiece, "Trampoline," was a gigantic step in a

     new direction. Helmet axman Page Hamilton provided the guitarwork,
     and the songs bristled with a newfound intensity.
        "By the time I was ready to make 'Trampoline,' " Henry says, "I
     had decided to myself: if I can't find a new way to do this, if I
     can't find a new musical world to inhabit, I'd just rather not."
        He hadn't decided what he would do if his new album didn't speak a
     new musical language: "I was kinda thinking maybe a UPS man," Henry
     says with a slight hint of his native North Carolina drawl. "Because
     people are always delighted to see you coming."
        After "Trampoline" met with universal critical acclaim, Henry has
     continued his progress away from the alt.country sound with "Fuse."
        The star treatment
        As for his new media presence, Henry says he doesn't mind the big
     marketing push he's getting from his record company.
        "Believe me, nobody does this by accident," he says. "There are
     plenty of people who do it and like to complain about it. They say,
     'Hey, I just do what I do, man, I don't care if anybody digs it or
     not.' I don't happen to subscribe to that way of thinking. There's
     nothing more vain than standing up there on the mountain and
     pretending to be un-vain."
        Henry realizes that the album's glitzy marketing and slick sound
     may lead some to accuse him of ditching his principles. And he has
     no problem with that.
        "People have a tendency to treat an acoustic guitar like it's the
     basket that floated the infant Moses down the river," he says.
     "There's nothing pure or natural about any of this, I don't care who
     you are. This idea that doing things with acoustic instruments is
     somehow more pure and more real - I don't have any interest in that
     as a notion."
        Musically, Henry describes his new record as "decidedly
     fragmented. I didn't want to make it do anything that sounded like a
     band. I'm a big fan of the collage approach of recordmaking. I like
     the disembodied sensation."
        And therein lies the rub. "Fuse" feels too fragmented, too
     cobbled together. Much of it, like the lackluster track "Fat," feels
     like studio trickery for its own sake.
        On this overproduced tune, a hip-hop beat and Henry's echoed
     singing backs a noodling electric piano. The fact that the song has
     too much going on - to little resulting effect - isn't the worst sin;
     that's making Henry's subtly soulful voice sound like it's sung into
     the business end of a tuba.
        The jazz-inflected "Want Too Much," mixed by studio maven Daniel
     Lanois, has a lonely trumpet wailing behind a wah-wah guitar and a

     dense wave of keyboards. Yet despite its busyness, the tune falls
     curiously flat.
        The single "Skin and Teeth" underuses backing vocalist Dylan, who
     is essentially invisible until just before the end of the forgettable
     song.
        Yet despite these downfalls, the album isn't a complete failure.
        The first song, "Monkey," perfectly melds Henry's studio dexterity
     with his elliptical lyrics. The track opens with heavily reverbed
     percussion that sounds like it's lifted straight from a Lanois-
     produced album. And when Henry wails the chorus, his voice is
     treated like it's coming from a cheap radio: "And maybe someday,
     someday, maybe someday you'll come back to me," he sings.
        This compelling vocal manipulation doesn't distract from the song,
     a poignant tale of a loser who hopes a busted relationship will save
     him from dissolution.
        "Beautiful Hat" is a touching, mournful paean over dirge-like
     horns (courtesy of The Dirty Dozen Brass Band). Henry warbles
     plaintively "When I was beginning to learn how to climb, thinking
     myself to be doing just fine/ Reaching your knees when just finding
     mine, reaching your knees while living on mine."
        What went wrong?
        It's not that Henry shouldn't be applauded for pushing his own
     musical envelope on "Fuse." There's nothing wrong with moving on
     from the confining alt.country scene. This movement is known for its
     zealous fans, quick to accuse a band of selling out if it doesn't
     meet their exacting purist standards. (Just ask The Jayhawks and
   * Wilco, which have both evolved from their country-rock roots.)
        The problem is just that Henry's album, as a whole, just doesn't
     work. From the slick packaging, which in one inexplicable image
     shows Henry in a dapper suit goofing on a wooden table, to the pallid
     instrumental "Curt Flood," or the campy waltzing closer "We'll Meet
     Again," there's a certain organic feeling that's missing here.
        The multimedia glimpse of Henry in concert gives some clues: The
     live versions of "Like She was a Hammer" and "Great Lakes" have a
     liveliness and energy that the studio versions lack. Henry's
     dedication to a non-band sound robbed "Fuse" of its vitality, leaving
     a lackluster album with strong lyrics but a disjointed, nondescript
     sound.
        It's not likely Henry will go back to his lo-fi roots, which is
     fine. But as time passes, maybe he'll re-integrate the band concept
     and realize that's not such a dirty word, and that cutting and
     pasting sounds for their own sake doesn't always work.
        But while this album isn't a complete success, the thing to
     remember is: a Joe Henry album is like pizza (or sex). Even so-so
     pizza (or sex, or Joe Henry album) is better a than most of the
     Matchbox 20 or Backstreet Boys drivel out there.