> Does he have a song about Watermelon  in Georgia?

Yeah, that was probably his biggest hit to date, "Watermelon Crawl."  An
HNC-ish band I worked in for a while did it, and like Lester says, I kindly
learned to love it.  It's a spiffy little country-rocker of the sort I think
I like a lot more than a lot of other P2ers <g>.  Anyhow, he's also hit
twice with Johnny Paycheck remakes ("Don't Take Her She's All I Got" and
another one I disremember at the moment), and some other fine stuff,
including a solid version of "You Lied To Me," written by Bill "I Get The
Fever" Anderson (there's another 2 days for Wm. Western).  Even Roy Kasten
allowed as how there were some good cuts on his Big Love album.

Note that Byrd is from the same background (musical and geographical) as
Mark Chesnutt, and, with the closure of the latter's Decca, a label-mate as
well.  Maybe this will encourage Chesnutt to make the same kind of stylistic
move, and then we'll never have to hear him sing those friggin' Diane Warren
ballads again.

Another intersting aspect to this is that Byrd's producer was Tony Brown.
I've been as big a defender of Brown as anyone - make that far and away the
biggest defender - here, but it looks to me as though the time is rapidly
coming when he's going to have to decide which way he wants to go - more
stuff like The Key (or like Byrd presumably wanted to cut) or more stuff
like that friggin' Diane Warren ballad.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/