Carl Wilson wrote:
<Me, I think the pop turn is as much the result of a sudden but sincere,
methinks, rediscovery that shiny happy music is not inherently evil, and is
a way out of rock's dead ends in a similar way that the adoption of twang
influence had been.>

Slonedog responds:
It may be a "way out" creatively but not necessarily commercially.  I don't
exactly hear radio stations begging for the next "Pet Sounds"-soundalike
song.  Most of them are looking for the next Matchbox3rdEyeBlindSugarRay one
hit wonder.  So, while the turn towards pop might expand the audiences of
these formerly (once & possibly future?) alt-country bands, I don't think
it's a path that will lead them to world domination.  One more reason that
any accusation that these bands are "selling out" just doesn't hold water.