Riley Daniels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Subject: Fred Eaglesmith in Chicago

(snip) The club quickly quieted down when they played a ballad that
sounded vaguely familiar, but I can't placeÉmaybe it's titled, "As
Empty As My Heart". Fredheads - help us out, do you know this
one?(snip)

I thought someone else would have answered this by now.  The song is
"Soda Machine" from Drive-in Movie.  IMHO it's a beautiful song.  The
last verse goes (from memory, the cd's at work):

I shook (?) & I kicked it, the front & the side
I checked to make sure that my change was right.
Well, I wasn't that thirsty, but I wasn't that smart
'cause the next thing I knew it was broken in parts.
And the soda machine at Charlotte & Queen
is as empty as my heart.

I think it expresses a smoldering rage boiling to the surface
perfectly.

I love Fred.

Karen

Without music, life is a mistake--Friedrich Nietzsche