Will Miner wrote:

> Back in vinyl days, Arhoolie Records had done a lot of compilations of
> classic old ranchera music, as well as nortena and other around- and
> south-of-the-border styles. . . .  I dont
> know how this stuff may have been repackaged for CD (if it's been
> reissued).

It's on cd, sometimes combining former lps  by the same
artist. Arhoolie is still the single best source for this stuff,
not necessarily because the music's any better (though it
often is), but because of their attention to sound quality
and the excellent notes, which put everything in historical
perspective. Robin, if you're just starting to get into this
stuff, it's absolutely worth spending the 3 bucks for their
catalogue, which is illustrated and packed with written
descriptions of the music that'll help you decide where you
want to proceed.  Have a look at this -
http://arhoolie.com
If you like this kind of music, you're going to end up there
sooner of later anyway - might as well start there!
Tom Smith