On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:35:48 -0800 Brad Bechtel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been reading Sweet Chaos : The Grateful Dead's
American Adventure, which I thought was going to be more
about the Grateful Dead's process of becoming an
institution in American music, but which is really more
about the author's experiences in the 1960s and how the
Dead related to them.

That's discouraging because I'd read a couple of good
reviews and thought it might be worth picking up. Thought
it might be better than the rest of the books that've
flooded the market post-Jerry.

> There is a need for someone to illuminate how this ragtag
band of hippies became one of the top concert attractions
for the past 30 years.

Ummm, the fast answer: They allowed taping<g>.

William Cocke
Senior Writer HSC Development
University of Virginia
(804) 924-8432