"David Markovits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Off to Austin next weekend,
> Can anyone tell me about these
> bands? They are playing at the
> Continental Club Thursday evening.

The Orange Mothers are something you just have to experience.  They
have really very little twang at all; their songs are mainly
straightforward pop.  But that's a little like saying GWAR is just a
straightforward heavy metal band.  Their front man Ethan Azarian is a
certifiable nutcase, and I mean that as a compliment.  It's always fun
to play with them.

I play bass for the Barkers so I don't have a lot of perspective.  The
songwriting has elements of Tom Waits, Kurt Weill, Harry Nilsson, and
Beatles, with a healthy shot of country.  Our main singer Alice
Spencer has been in rock bands, string bands, convention-and-wedding
standards bands, and done Patsy Cline in the "Always, Patsy Cline"
musical, and all of that shows up in her singing and songwriting.  The
show at the Continental is the day before we start mixing our first
record!  So we're pretty excited about the band and the gig and I'm
sure it will be a great show.  You should come out and introduce
yourself.

Bill Gribble
The Barkers