I cant remember who it was who was asking about Ranchera music a week or
so ago.  I put in a query with a friend of mine who's a journalist down
in Mexico City and here's what he had to say:

-------------------------

     Jose Alfredo Jimenez is the Shakespeare of Ranchera music,
author of such classics as "Caminos de Guanajuato," with the
refrain "la vida no vale nada." I think he's the guy I gave you
a tape of. Javier Solis, Vicente Fernandez, Charro Avitia
Jorge Negrete, Chavela Vargas, are some other names that come to
mind.

I believe that some of these are more current than those collected on the
Arhoolie discs.

Will Miner
Denver, CO