You know, I'm glad this came up because as we speak I'm taping some of the
Pine Valley Cosmonauts LP. What strikes me is that the songs which fail do
so because they spotlight vocalists who are weak singers. Or, maybe it's
that they are trying to adopt the Wills arrangements too strictly, which
were able to feature a singer as fitted for those arrangements as Tommy
Duncan was.

Whatever the case, some of the vocalists on the PVC's album sure sound like
they're used to singing rock 'n' roll songs, so they're unable to hide
behind (or among) the band because the band is arranged around them. Their
vocal "deficiencies" aren't as big a liability in most rock 'n' roll
environments because they need only be tunefully enthusiastic, not
sensitively collaborative. So, the PVCs band is shit-hot, but more than a
few of the singers aren't up to the challenge.

This is probably why Merle and Willie and George Strait can pull off Western
Swing. It's not that their bands aren't all respectively brilliant, it's
just that each of their voices is distinctively complementary. As Willie
might say, they're aging with time like yesterday's wine. I hope some of
these folks on the PVC do stick with the swing, maybe they'll have a great
album before long. Or maybe someone should convince Dwight Yoakam to sing
with the band.

Lance, smoking T for Texas . . .