This is for CD-recordables but I'm sure it applies for commercial
manufacturing too. For home recording I've gotten up to 82.5 minutes on a
CD-R without problems, and I've read some brands can hold up to 84 minutes.
There are 80 minute blanks where the spiral a data path is just a little
bit tighter, and there's a also a technique called overburning which writes
a few minutes extra music to an area reserved for another purpose. Players
generally don't care about the tricks, the 82+ minute discs play fine in my
13 year old Pioneer and in my $29 portable.