One view of the Kelly Willis show last Thursday:

http://metromix.com/reviews/detail/1,1259,2500143,00.html

(Warning -- skip his first paragraph if you have a low
tolerance for big city writers trying to be clever about
country music.)

My view of the Friday show -- Kelly was real good, but Bruce
Robison's thirty-five minute opening set was maybe a bit
better.  A well behaved crowd actually listened to his quiet
little solo set.

High point of the evening -- Kelly Willis suddenly standing
next to me in the crowd, watching Bruce do a new song called
"Just Married", then joining him on stage for "Angry All the
Time".

Second best line of the evening -- Kelly asking everyone to
buy cd's and t-shirts, to help her pay for boarding her four
cats (Baby, OJ, Francis and Twist).

Best line of the evening -- see sigfile below.

She and the band seemed a bit tentative all evening -- there
seemed to be a lot of standing around between songs.  And is
it just me, or is Amy a bit offkey with her harmonies?

Kelly played most of the new record, along with tunes from
all her other records.  And I think she played all four
songs from the Fading Fast ep, which I wish someone would
reissue so I don't have to pay forty bucks to buy it on
ebay.

A rollicking "Take It All Out On You."  An intense "Not Long
For This World."  A perfect "What World Are You Living In."
Regarding her version of "Time Has Told Me" -- my vote goes
to the Nick-did-it-better side, as she and the band kind of
trampled it.

She's due back in June, for the Country Music Fest in Grant
Park.  I assume she'll be on the small stage rather than the
giant stage.

TWM

--
"It was called 'I Didn't Take Your Fucking Baseball Glove' "

     -- Bruce Robison, on the first song he ever wrote about
his brother

Tom Mohr

usually here: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

sometimes here: [EMAIL PROTECTED]