Matt:

>       I haven't got that one yet (tho I've heard about that studio
> fight: I believe it is included on those "celebrity losing it" tapes
> that make the rounds), but the one at the end of "5D" is painful:
> McGuinn and the Walrus talking about the *new* album. Yaaaawwwwn. I
> don't know how long it is, something like 11 minutes. I don't know who
> would listen to it, even among diehard fans...

Actually I haven't heard the 5D one, so we're even.  Sounds like a
conversation, rather than a studio thing?  The one on "Notorious" is
amusing as a "band nagging each other during a practice" sort of
thing.  Not that it would make great repeated listening at any
moment, but they are interesting and fun when you're in the mood.
Since the one on Notorious clearly gives you Crosby as the nagging
asshole, it's in keeping with the aesthetic of the album as a whole,
since Crosby quit at that time, the "horse's ass" photo on the front,
etc...

I'd still like to hear some more about that South African concert
from our new South African P2 correspondent, however....  That's a
legendary moment in Byrds' lore and I have never ever heard a peep
from anyone who saw it.

--junior