Hi, Diane-

Sounds like a great idea to me.  Three things off the top of my head:

1.)  Look for a tie-in with public radio.  Seems like Madison had 2 or three
such stations.  If somebody's broadcasting this kind of music, more folks
will find out about it and come.  If there aren't any shows like that on the
air, recruit one of your friends to host a show.  Or broadcast from your
venue.

2.) Hook up with other regional clubs.  I'm booking a bi-weekly series here
in Chicago at the Hideout, and I know the owners (who are great, BTW) are
actively seeking out clubs in Milwaukee, Madison, Champaign, Mpls, etc. to
encourage musicians to book their tours in this direction.

3.)  Be sure to book some acts the youngsters like - most likely, they're
the ones that will keep you afloat.
 Good luck!

Kelly