Paycheck expects to be released May 1

WSM Radio News

Grand Ole Opry member Johnny Paycheck is still in the hospital recovering
from respiratory problems.

The 60-year-old singer is hoping to leave the hospital on May 1, but
isn't sure when he'll return to the stage.

"I can't tell right yet, but soon, I hope, soon," Paycheck said
Wednesday. He spoke publicly for the first time with WSM Radio from his
hospital bed in Atlanta.

Paycheck has been in the hospital for nearly six months. He says he's
tired of being
in the hospital.

"Yes I am," he said. "I'd like to thank my Grand Ole Opry family, who
stuck by me through all this. All my friends, I want to thank them, too.
And I especially want to thank my wife, Sharon."

Best known for his hit Take This Job and Shove It, Paycheck says he
appreciates all the prayers and cards from friends and family.