> Jon Weisberger wrote:
>

> > He and Atkins worked awfully well together, in my opinion; you can hear it
> > on that Country All-Stars stuff.  One of the things that I find interesting
> > is that so many of the guys who played on a lot of hillbilly music records
> > made in Nashville were interested in jazz; Byrd, Atkins, Dale Potter, but it
> > was a different kind of jazz,

That's intriguing to me, also -- and may be one of the reasons a lot of
that 50s era country music is so appealing to my ears. There's a lot of
the jazz instrumental poppin' bop, or whatever you call it, working in
much of that stuff. And listening to the Biller and Wakefield record,
which is coming from the twang side of the tracks, this is really a lot
closer to jazz, to my ears. The same with Big Sandy Presents the Fly-Rite
Boys. And wasn't that 50s/60s country session guitarist, Garland (Hank or
Wayne?), a jazz guitarist, too? -- Terry Smith