In a message dated 4/12/99 2:29:36 PM EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<          Reply to:   Re: Jon Brion (was SOTD)
 I hear he does a regular gig every Friday night at a club in LA (is it
Largo?) that's amazing. >>

yes, they are pretty extraordinary experiences, and not just because anyone
from elliott smith to grant lee phillips to michael stipe to beck might drop
by to jam, but because brion is a one-man lab experiment. every friday night
is totally different, totally off the cuff, and more often than not leaving
the audience with a memory like no other. the last time i was there, first,
largo owner mark flanagan grapped a mariachi trumpet player off the street
(he was passing by on the way to a gig) and thrust him on stage with brion,
who was busy noodling around with a fuzzed out guitar and a raga rhythm being
supplied over the p.a. within minutes, the duo was playing the strangest
version of "brass in pocket," if I remember correctly, that I had ever heard.
later in the set, benmont tench and pete thomas (of the attractions) joined
brion for a free-for-all jam session that culminated in the trio doing a
spot-on version of foreigner's "hot blooded" with a guy from the audience
singing lead. not for everyone -- there is a lot of noodling -- but it is
unlike anything i've ahave ever seen. props to him for being able to pull
this off every single friday night for the last two years.

thinking in lower case today,

neal weiss