Brad Bechtel clipped, then I snipped:

> That doesn't mean her Monday night show at Oakland's Paramount Theater (she plays
>again Tuesday) was the equivalent of an arm-wrestling takedown. But it did have some
>great moments, and Crow turned in a solid star turn.
>
> Before she even began, it seemed highly possible that Crow's opening act, the
>Minneapolis power-pop trio Semisonic, could blow her off the stage. Always engaging
>to the point of inciting riots, Semisonic began playing to near-empty house (damn
>those 8 p.m. start times!) but by the end of their hefty 50-minute set, had the
>swelling crowd on its feet.
>
> Frontman Dan Wilson, bass player John Munson and drummer Jacob Slichter - all gifted
>musicians - play with the ferocity of a garage band, but with a joy and sense of
>humor those groups lack. Their songs are acutely melodic, and loaded with creative
>metaphors befitting the brainy Ivy Leaguers they are ("Shaking my mind like an
>Etch-A-Sketch erasing").
>
> Especially good were the euphoric "Singing in my Sleep," the sweet/sexy "D.N.D.,"
>and the screwball rocker "F.N.T." The bespectacled Wilson seems representative of the
>new model of the Hot American Male - more brainy than brawny, sexual yet sensitive.
>The girlish squeals in the audience every time Wilson moved a hip joint proved this
>theory.

Semisonic's one of the best bands around, whatever the genre. *Great* live show and
very high quality pop music with a brain.
Last year's FEELING STRANGELY FINE is a good record, ubiquitous hit single ("Closing
Time") notwithstanding. 1996's GREAT DIVIDE is one of the best records of the past few
years, chock full of great songs, and not a lemon in the bunch.

No more pop from me today, promise. <g>

b.s.