I'm interested to hear about  that too; I've not read it--but then, it's
only out a couple of weeks.  I do know that the writer is a professor with
a lot of non-fiction under his belt concerning California, especially lives
of working class Californians, and that he even wrote a story collection
about the Okies....

While we're at it, I'd mention that what I AM reading right now,  the book
"The Jazz of the Southwest: An Oral History of Western Swing" by Jean A.
Boyd, has become available in paperback at the same mega-onlines and
elsewhere as the California book ...
  This author, as the title suggests, has much to say about how Western
Swing is jazz at its root, underappreciated jazz, and maybe underplays the
country side in saying so...but there are many interviewsm, and much
thought on the topic... She's unrelated to any other Boyd BTW--and  a
musicologist from Baylor.. ..

Barry M.