Sorry if I missed an earlier discussion of this, but have you all read
"Devil's Dream" by Lee Smith?  The musical aspects of "Cold Mountain" remind
me of it.  It's set in the Appalachians, and each chapter is told from the
perspective of one member of subsequent generations of a mountain family,
culminating with the last generation/ last chapter being about a country
star.  Dang, what a book! Smith really takes you inside these people and
leads you to a new view of their times.

'Course, that's precisely what I liked so much about "Cold Mountain".

Kelly "Book Club" Kessler