I got a quick, cursory listen to the new Julie Reeves disc in the store this
morning, and while nothing grabbed me as extraordinary, it was far from
unpleasant -- I'd like to hear it again a bit more closely.

My first reaction was that it seemed similar to the recent (second) Sara
Evans disc (which I didn't like as much as Evans' first CD but still think
it had much to recommend). Reeves seems to have a decent voice and there
definitely was a country sound. But I got no sense of the songwriting
whatsoever -- too tough to do while customers were rushing the doors looking
for the new Alice Cooper box set<g>. After seeing labels trying to push
artists emulating Shania and more recently the Dixie Chicks (SheDaisy?), I
guess you could do worse than try to emulate the recent (if somewhat modest)
success of Sara Evans.

I definitely had a more positive reaction to the Reeves disc than I did last
week giving the new Andy Griggs CD a similarly cursory listen. That one
seemed trite as hell to me. (The Kurt Cobain of country, as at least one
reviewer wrote? Uh, ok -- I guess he at least looks grungy.)

Jack Copeland
Shawnee, Kansas