Not to displace anything in David's definitive Top 4 -

     (sideline: except that I'm not quite convinced we've covered soul
     properly in the person of James Brown, whose influence vocally and
     rhythmically is definitive for funk-disco-rap but not so much in the
     more slow-grooving melody-centred part of pop-soul-R&B - I think maybe
     I'd tie Brown with Ray Charles for 4th).

     - but on Tera's behalf I'd reluctantly say that if we look at the
     current state of pop music, where female singer-songwriters are about
     the only growing concern in the rock column of the equation, it's not
     easy to avoid pegging Joni Mitchell fairly high up. You have to open
     up your idea of "influential" here: "Blue" would be acknowledged by
     astonishing numbers of performers as a seminal record (likely more
     than any single Beatles or Dylan album). If you're bristling, let me
     put it this way: Joni Mitchell was the pop-music equivalent of Jackie
     Robinson, breaking the bar as the first major female artist to visibly
     call the shots on her own career, on her own songs and in her own
     distinctly female (but not feminized) voice - Madonna's godmother, and
     also that of Sarah and Sheryl and Alanis and Lucinda and Rickie Lee
     Jones and Lauryn Hill. Janis Joplin and Laura Nyro were important in
     this sense, too, but Mitchell's influence was cemented by the fact
     that she survived it.

     (Yes, you might name Dolly or Loretta or Aretha or Billie Holiday or
     Ella or Tina Turner, but I don't think any of them visibly held
     control over their personae and music in the same way.)

     The irony is that Mitchell's historical significance far outstrips her
     musical quality - much of the latter is for the worse, in that she,
     er, overlegitimized confessional songwriting (she is to song what
     Sylvia Plath and Robert Lowell were to poetry) - but if we assume that
     the revolution in gender roles will go down as one of the 20th
     century's most important developments, that historical place looms
     pretty large (if depressingly recent).

     carl w.