I'm curious why we've collectively overlooked the influence of Bob Marley in our
discussion so far. Is it because he's not from the United States? Is it because we
find reggae to be a marginal music that has had little impact in American culture?

I think the discussion so far has had focus on those performers who had a major impact
on American popular music of the twentieth century.  I do agree that Mr. Marley's
influence on reggae music is enormous, but I'm not  familiar enough with non-Marley
reggae (or Marley-influenced non-reggae musical styles) to argue that he's up there
with Elvis, the Beatles, or even the Eagles as far as influence goes.