Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 22:22:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Don Yates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: It's A Mighty Thin Line Between Love And Hate

I'm beginning to wonder if the buzz about alternative country is nothing
more than a plot to make the world once again safe for Poco.  Not a day
passes it seems without some stale folk-rock record ending up on my desk,
accompanied by obnoxious press material claiming the harmless mediocrity
in question is the true inheritor of the Hank Williams legacy.  Shania
Twain has more Hank in her than most of that impotent shit.  Combine those
somnolent folk-rockers (and their acoustic coffeehouse brethren) with
college rockers pretending they're the salt of the earth (when they're not
using country music as a weapon of ridicule against the working class),
and sooner or later, it's bound to generate a backlash -- and a
well-deserved one at that.  The Bottle Rockets, Gillian Welch and Dale
Watson are OK by me, but as for the alternative country movement, I hope
it soon withers away, before the glut of mediocrity discourages talented
artists from making innovative, heartfelt music on the margins of country
music.  Bah, humbug.--don

n.p. Johnny Paycheck -- Sings Jukebox Charlie