From: lance davis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 1999 7:02 PM
To: passenger side
Subject: Re: Captain Beefheart>Tom Waits

>>Man, I can't even find the words to express how much I hate
>>Beefheart. I know hate is a strong word, but it's really not
>>strong enough.
>>Marie

>Captain Beefheart was and is a unique character.
>Brad

If nothing else, Captain Beefheart paved the way for his musical
superior,
Tom Waits. Or, maybe I should say that the Beefheart precedent seems so
clearly to have influenced Tom's work from Swordfishtrombones onward.
Personally, I think the Beef have some very annoying stuff, and is
almost
certainly overrated, but I do think that "China Pig" is a great, bluesy
song, FWIW.

Lance . . .