>Saw David Murray's Quartet with the late Fred Hopkins on bass at
>Artpark.

I've been lucky to see David Murray in many incarnations, very often with
Fred Hopkins.  I was sad to see how he passed away - he seemed very young (I
don't know his age, but he PLAYED young).  He always seemed to have the best
time on stage, kind of a lil' clown, and he and Murray (and he and Andrew
Cyrille especially) were so in sync with each other.  He was a real treasure
and I hope he's remembered.

Murray always has the best bands with him.

One note about the WSQ is how when I first saw them I was expecting alot of
serious pomp, but they provide some of the most patying jass shows you can
see.  They have a new record with African vocals which, while not as good as
their best, shows that as a quartet they really stretch themselves.

I feel David Murray is making some of the most important music going on
today (if music can be important - he shows it). He's been experimenting the
last few years with combining African heritage world music with his soulful,
funky jass style and it works so damn well - not on record, alas, as much as
in person. If Fo Deuk Revue comes to your town in any form, check it out.
When I saw him half a year ago he had Senegal rappers, traditional Senegal
pop music, Amira Buraka reading beat poetry, and, of course, the great
sounds of David Murray himself. Kick ass stuff.

keep dancing,
-ldk