Friday April 23, 12:28 pm Eastern Time
Company Press Release
Illness to Remove Grammy Winner Ray Stevens Temporarily from Performances
NASHVILLE, Tenn.--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--April 23, 1999--Grammy winner Ray
Stevens has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and will undergo
treatment as recommended by his doctors. Stevens debuted The Ray Stevens
Show in the Roy Acuff Theatre at Opryland during November and December
1998.

``Our first priority is obviously Ray's health and well-being,'' said Jim
Ditenhafer, vice president of operations of the Grand Ole Opry Group.
``We know Ray's fans will be disappointed that he won't be able to open
the show on May 27 as planned. We are reviewing our options for a
replacement show during his absence. We will make a determination at a
later date as to whether he will be back this fall or during the
holidays.''

``Ray has been one of the most influential forces in music and video
history during his 35-year career and while this situation will remove
him temporarily from the limelight, we're sure he'll be back at the Acuff
Theatre as soon as his doctor allows,'' said Ditenhafer.

``This diagnosis has come as a big surprise but I have complete
confidence in my physician's ability to help me fight this disease,''
said Stevens. ``During this time of discovery, I've learned my cancer is
in the early stages. I encourage every man over 50 years of age to get
out and have a PSA test, which detects this disease. Prostate cancer is
the most common, most curable form of cancer in men and my prognosis for
recovery is excellent. I look forward to getting back to the music as
soon as I possibly can.''

All individuals and groups who have already purchased tickets will be
contacted directly. While the summer shows featuring Ray Stevens will not
take place, a replacement show is under consideration. Plans are underway
for the fall and holiday shows featuring Stevens at the Acuff Theatre.
Anyone with immediate questions about The Ray Stevens Show at Opryland,
including refunds, scheduling or securing replacement tickets for another
show, should call 615/889-3060 for individual tickets or for group sales
call 615/871-5993.