Excerpts from internet.listserv.postcard2: 26-Apr-99 RE: Oliver Lake -
Fred Hopk.. by "Ph. Barnard"@eagle.cc.u
> Yeah, I've been enjoying this thread too.  I'm chiming in late, but
> hasn't anyone mentioned Julius Hemphill?  He was my fave of the
> bunch.  Saw him a lot over the years and followed him from his B.A.G.
> days in St Louis to his New York phase and untimely death three years
> or so.  It's not crucial,  but I always thought Julius was the
> initial organizer of the WSQ.

You'll get no argument from me Junior.  I wish I'd seen him before he died.

<BLATANT PLUG> WRCT plays lots and lots of folks like WSQ, Dave Douglas,
Sun Ra, Fred Hopkins, Kahil El'Zabar and the like (also Mingus, Ella,
Chet Baker).  Saturday evenings between 4-10pm and Sunday mornings
between 7am-noon are most reliable, but there are at least half a dozen
such shows on our schedule, and most any MP3 player can play them at
www.wrct.org.</BLATANT PLUG>

Carl Z.