Mark Rubin writes
>Coming home on the Bainbridge Ferry from a gig @ the Tractor in Seattle, Me
>and Dan parked right in front of one of the fiddlers from Goose Creek.
>(Small world.)

OK, well, I guess I'll share my small world Goose Creek story, too.  I had
never heard of them until 2 or 3 weeks ago when a friend of a friend sent
me a tape of some recordings of theirs from the 70's --she said the
fiddling reminded her of me (I'm not sure why, because I have a different
style and I'm not that competent anyway).  But anyway, the very next day my
fiddle teacher was talking about an Ernest Tubb sighting that he had had on
a particular trip to Nashville back in the 70's when he played fiddle in
this band called Goose Creek Symphony.  He is not part of the current
group, though.  Still, this early stuff that I heard isn't quite my cup of
tea, although they seem to have had a strong influence on some people back
then (this friend in particular).

Anyway...my teacher, Jim Tolles (apparently formerly known as Cactus Jim)
has a new CD out with his Magic Truck String Band, called Voyage of the
Magic Truck, which I like a lot--it is mostly old-time & contra influenced
original songs with a couple of traditional tunes.  If anyone is interested
in following the evolution of former Goose Creek members, you could get
this CD.  If you want to buy it, I think you can reach him at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or you can write to me and I'll put you in touch with
him.  No, he didn't pay me to say this.

Dina