On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Picked up the new Old 97s record "Fight Songs" yesterday and I dig it
> alot. But I think those early reviews about it being a radical departure
> are a bit overstated.  There are new song structures and more
> multi-tracked vocals and harmonies on great new tunes like
> "Oppenheimer", "Murder" and "19".  But their signature sound is still
> there in the galloping beats and weird "strangled" guitar sound on many
> of the tracks.

I'll buy that.  Songs like "Jagged," "Indefinitely," and "Let The Idiot
Speak" are very much in the mold of what they've done before.  There's a
bit more musical subtlety employed, but Fight Songs is still very much a
97s record.  The songs are also damn good, which for me anyway, is the
bottom line.--don