Junior asked, Dave replied:

> > Bill,  just to refresh my memory, you were recommending Planet of
> > Love as the best Lauderdale album, right?
>
> Dear lord, no...it's Pretty Close to the Truth by two furlongs (getting
> ready for the Derby). One of my fave alt.country records ever.

Well I turned on to JL with PRETTY CLOSE TO THE TRUTH, and there are more
individual songs on it that belong with his best than PLANET OF LOVE, but
POL's a twangier record FWIW. It's also out of print though, and tough to
find, while PRETTY CLOSE can still be found here and there.  I'd say it's
PRETTY CLOSE...but it's pretty closer than Dave puts it. *Two furlongs*?!
Shoot, isn't 6 or 7 furlongs a standard race length below a mile or a mile
and an eighth? I say PRETTY CLOSE by a length, and POL made a nice stretch
run to make it a race. <g>

b.s.