Recently I have been struggling with configuring DANE and DNSSEC for a domain,
for which my DNS is
authoritative.

Software

Linux  Fedora 28
BIND 9.12.3
Postfix 3.3.1

smtp_tls_dane_insecure_mx_policy = dane
smtp_tls_security_level = dane
tls_dane_digest_agility = on
tls_dane_digests = sha512 sha256
tls_dane_trust_anchor_digest_enable = yes
smtp_dns_support_level = dnssec
smtp_host_lookup = native, dns

DNSSEC is not the problem, but there are issues in setting up DANE in postfix,
hvis could be
improved

1) logging

More informative logging of what is happening, when smtp is trying to establish
a TLS connection
using dane e.g. on dns lookups, TLSA lookups and the results

Better documentation of what is actually meant by these messages:

Anonymous TLS connection established
Trusted TLS connection established
Verified TLS connection established

2) problem with no ad flag when the resolver is querying an authoritative DNS

In this case Postfix is running on the same server as the authoritative server
and using it as a
recursive resolver. I had to change the resolv.conf file to an external DNS,
but for various reasons
this will not work properly in all cases.

This issue should be solved, and at least be mentioned in the documentation for
DANE, as it can be a
showstopper.

3) TLS SNI

The documentation states, that there are no plans to implement SNI in the
Postfix SMTP server.
Is this still valid?
>From my recent experience I can see, that other mailservers do implement it.
With the easy certificates obtainable from LetsEncrypt and many virtual host on
the same server, it
may be time to reevaluate this policy. Also to eliminate single points of
failure.

- Jørgen Thomsen