Hello Wietse,

SpamAssassin recomends inserting fake (lowest and highest) MX records
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/spamassassin/OtherTricks to reduce
Spam.  E.g. MX aegee.org resolves to 90
mxf-2.aegee.org. / 10 mail.aegee.org. / 1 mxf-1.aegee.org. and on
mxf-1,2.aegee.org there is no SMTP server.

That said, my understandig is:

A mail has 3 recipients and is sent to a domain with fake MX records deployed,
but otherwise has 50 distinct accepting
IP addresses behind the MX records.  The smtp server accepts one recipient per
transaction and 451 defers the other
recipients.  Postfix picks up to 5 (smtp_mx_address_limit) distinct IP
addresses from DNS.  Postfix will connect first
to the fake MX host.  Then postfix connects to two other hosts and each host
consumes one recipient.  Then postfix gives
up and retries delivery to the last recipient later.

Why doesn’t postfix handle the 4.5.3 status code in a special way?   As long as
per iteration the number of recipients
is reduced, keep retrying without giving up.

Regards
  Дилян