On Mon, Aug 08, 2022 at 12:22:05PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Could this not better be done with a transport_maps plugin, for example
>
>     transport_maps = tcp:host:port
>     transport_maps = socketmap:inet:host:port:name
>     transport_maps = socketmap:unix:pathname:name
>
> Just asking, because Postfix is primarily an MTA, MUA is not
> core fucntionality, and these are fairly invasive changes.

I'd want to avoid magic nexthop names, and if this were to be supported,
trigger it via a new smtp(8) parameter, that would be turned on for a
custom transport.  Something along the lines of:

    sumitc unix ... smtp
        -o smtp_query_submission_srv=yes

And then route various domains to that transport:

    transport:
        example.net     submitc:example.net:587

--
    Viktor.