On 13 Oct 2008, at 15:00, Joey wrote:
Joey wrote, at 10/13/2008 01:42 PM:

Many school and government sites (not to mention China) can't seem to
configure rDNS and FCrDNS properly. I have given up trying to contact
offending sites. Too often, they decide the solution is simply to drop
the recipient from a mailing list, instead of correcting their DNS
records to improve the robustness of their mailings. It's a shame,
because things got pretty quiet on my test domains during the weeks I
implemented reject_unknown_(reverse_)client_hostname.

Requiring encryption is a pipe dream, and as Wietse has mentioned,
introduces a greater risk of exposing bugs as a result of linking to a
large base of external code.

Somewhere government ( which I don’t want them to control, but is the only one that can step in ) has to step in and setup hard and fast laws and rules based on a committee of knowledgable people ( Wietse etc ) to create a system which requires registration and has accountability for when spam is sent through your equipment. At this point though I think of that as a pipe dream and we each as admins have to take whatever methods work for us to accomplish the goal.

Quite honestly, I'd rather deal with the spammers using existing techniques than have the government step in. I won't claim to be an expert on governments and governance by any means; but from what I've seen, it's only by accident if a government ever conjoins individuals who understand what they're doing with the right amount of authority. And good luck getting any special interest groups out of the way of the public good... (Someone should probably make a General Public lobbying group. =\ )

Correct me if I'm wrong; but it seems like services like Gmail seem to do a decent job at managing spam; so I don't think it's impossible... (I just wish they'd be a little more forthcoming about what they do, though I have do doubt they'll claim that it would kill their competitive advantage.)

-N.