On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 07:11:16PM -0800, Jeff Weinberger wrote:

> I am hoping someone can offer help in determining this information about
> the specifics of how sendmail submits mail.

The postdrop(1) helper places the mail in the maildrop sub-directory of
the Postfix queue. The pickup(8) daemon asynchronously injects mail into
the "incoming" queue (via cleanup(8)) one message at a time.

> There is no content_filter specified in main.cf.
>
> In this configuration, when mail is submitted via the sendmail command,
> will the content filter specified on the port 25 service apply? or will
> postfix only pay attention to the settings in main.cf for the purposes of
> transferring that mail?

Local submission via sendmail(1) does not use SMTP, so the smtpd(8)
service on port 25 never sees the mail. Ergo, settings there do not apply.

> I suppose the more general question is which set of configuration options
> is mail submitted via the sendmail command subject to?

    1. "-o" options in the pickup(8) service master.cf(5) entry.
    2. main.cf parameter settings

> (yes, I read the sendmail(1) documentation and did not find this
> information. The architecture documentation indicates only that it is
> subject to pretty much anything that local submission is subject to, but
> it's not clear what that is).

Submission via sendmail(1) *is* "local submission". The latter is a term
of art for the former.

    http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html#receiving

    o Local submissions are received with the Postfix sendmail(1)
    compatibility command, and are queued in the maildrop queue by the
    privileged postdrop(1) command. This arrangement even works while
    the Postfix mail system is not running. The local pickup(8) server
    picks up local submissions, enforces some sanity checks to protect
    Postfix, and gives the sender, recipients and message content to
    the cleanup(8) server.

--
        Viktor.