On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 07:30:01PM -0500, Christophe Kalt via Postfix-users
<postfix-users@postfix.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The two options I've seen for implementing SRS are milter and
> [sender_]canonical_maps but it seems to me that neither are a good fit when
> rewriting the envelope From as they happen early on (smtpd and cleanup
> specifically) and before Postfix knows where the mail is going.
>
> That's a bit of a problem as rewriting the sender only makes sense if the
> mail is being sent over SMTP (and even then, it would be great to have more
> control as it is not always desirable). Looking for another option, the
> closest seems to be smtp_generic_maps except that it rewrites both envelope
> and header Froms.
>
> I suspect this could easily be adjusted with a new smtp_generic_classes
> parameter (similar to [sender_]canonical_classes) ?

You might already know about this, but postforward is
good for doing SRS for specific addresses but there is
static config (in /etc/aliases) so it's only good for
setups that don't change much (unless you automate
config updates). postsrsd wants to rewrite everything,
even local delivery, but postforward can limit it to
just things that get sent to remote servers.

cheers,
raf