On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 06:59:09PM -0400, Sahil Tandon wrote:

> > We have installed the new version of postfix and we see the following
> > situation :
> >
> > # tail -f /var/log/mail.log | grep 10025
> > May 13 09:18:13 smtp-1 postfix/smtpd[26441]: warning: proxy
> > 127.0.0.1:10025 rejected "MAIL FROM:<catherine_boeyk...@bio-rad.com>
> > SIZE=8598 AUTH=<>": "555 5.5.4 Unsupported option: AUTH=<>"
>
> Could that be another instance of Postfix running on port 10025?  It does not
> advertise AUTH capability (i.e. SASL is not enabled), is given "AUTH=<>" by
> the client on the MAIL FROM line, and appropriately responds with 555.

Proxy filters are required to be transparent, and to support all the
ESMTP features of the front-end Postfix. Good proxies ignore unsupported
ESMTP extensions and pass them through verbatim. If the proxy wants to
understand and selectively reject ESMTP extensions is not transparent.

If your proxy is not transparent, it can only be used as a post-queue
content-filter, and cannot be used a pre-queue proxy filter.

--
        Viktor.