On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:41:22 -0500 (EST), Wietse Venema
<wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
> Jeroen Koekkoek:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to request pcre table support in postscreen for some fields

>> e.g. client_name, helo_name, etc.
>>
>> For example if client is not listed on any dnsbl, but the reverse
>> hostname matches /\.dsl\./, the client is greylisted.
>>
>> Or if client is listed on a single dnsbl and contains something like
>> dialup, the connection is dropped.
>
> This functionality already exists in smtpd. There is no need to duplicate
> this in postscreen.
>
> Postscreen's purpose is to keep zombies away so that you can keep
> using the existing smtpd features.
>
> It is not a scoring system that makes a decision at the end.
> Instead, postscreen makes the decision as early as possible.
>
>       Wietse

Not entirely, because I can't combine scores in smtpd. I would need a
policy service for that (correct me if i'm wrong). So if I wanted to do
this check I would need an smtpd + policy service and the policy service
would need to do the exact same lookups in order to get a combined score
and make a descision based on that.

I think it's a lot of overhead where one or two pcre checks would suffice.

If I create a patch, could this feature make its way into postfix?

Jeroen