Islam, Towhid wrote:
I am trying to set up a mail system with postfix being the core (smtp) and dovecot for imap/pop3 for end-user mail delivery/retrieval. While I have configured spam and virus scanning for my postfix based mail relay hosts, I’m not sure how to incorporate amavisd (for clamav and spamassassin) in this new system. My question is how does it work in theory and where to put the necessary configuration parameters in main.cf and/or master.cf in postfix? The way it should work, as I believe it should, would be: mail is received by postfix then sent to amavisd for virus/spam checking then it is returned to postfix when postfix sends it to dovecot. Am I correct? Thanks.

yes