On Jun 13, 2012, at 9:39 PM, jeffrey j donovan wrote:

> Greetings
> it has been a long time since I've done this, and could use some guidance.
>
> I have one domain ( example.com ) and 7 systems.
>
> mx1.example.com
> Av1.example.com
> relay1.example.com
> relay2.exmple.com
> imap/pop1
> imap/pop2
> imap/pop3
>
> each understand their own /etc/aliases file. if I send a message to
> someal...@machine.example.com it works fine.
> when i try to send to aliasn...@example.com, all the machines kick it to the
> MX server ( which has a transportmap for example.com ) and I get a loop.
>
> aliasname:    lukeskywal...@host.example.com
>
> can i specify
>
> aliasn...@example.com:        lukeskywal...@host.example.com
>
> right now my MX server is only working when i specify the host name in the
> message.
>
> if there is something I should set in main.cf ?
> <snip>
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, example.com,
> $mydomain
> mydomain = example.com
> mydomain_fallback = localhost
> myhostname = mx1.example.com
> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
> mynetworks_style = host
> myorigin = $myhostname
> </snip>
>
> -j

answering my own question; is this what i need to change ?
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

myorigin (default: $myhostname)
The domain name that locally-posted mail appears to come from, and that locally
posted mail is delivered to. The default, $myhostname, is adequate for small
sites. If you run a domain with multiple machines, you should (1) change this
to $mydomain and (2) set up a domain-wide alias database that aliases each user
to user@that.users.mailhost.

Example:

myorigin = $mydomain

okay part (2) of that answer  set up a domain-wide alias database that aliases
each user to user@that.users.mailhost
how do i do that properly ?

-j