* Will <w...@lathrios.net> [2013-01-27 01:23:31 -0600]:

> On 01/27/2013 12:41 AM, Dibyendra Hyoju wrote:
> >220 library.net.np <http://library.net.np> ESMTP Sendmail
> >8.14.3/8.14.3/Debian-9.4; Sun, 27 Jan 2013 00:31:43 -0600; (No UCE/UBE)
> >logging access from: localhost(OK)-localhost [127.0.0.1]
>
> This seems to indicate that you are communicating with a Sendmail
> server, not a Postfix server...

 As pointed out by Will, the program listening on port 25 for smtpd
 connections is Sendmail version 8.14. This is, I imagine, the
 default MTA installed on a Debian system which from the output of
 your telnet session indicates you're using.

 When you installed Postfix was it from the Debian apt repositories?
 It should have made the necessary changes to you system to make
 Postfix the local MTA; for example, on some systems, like OpenBSD
 which I use, Sendmail is disabled by editing the file /etc/mailer.conf
 which points programs to the postfix binaries had that been the
 MTA I wanted to install. Also, Sendmail is disabled by adding
 sendmail=NO in /etc/rc.conf.local and adding a similar line for
 postfix but setting "YES" so it's the postfix binaries that are
 started at system boot time. So the point here being, that you
 need to disable Sendmail and enable Postfix.

 I don't use Linux, and never have, so I'm not sure on the method
 Debian uses to change the MTA. Check the Debian documentation and
 mailing list archives to see how to achieve that.

 Also, the main.cf snippets you provided showing sasl configuration
 are for smtp, i.e. outgoing - perhaps you meant to set up sasl
 auth settings for incoming, i.e. smtpd

 The best thing do now is to check the Debian docs to find out how
 to change your MTA to Postfix and disable Sendmail. Then  double
 check if it's incoming or outgoing sasl auth you're trying to
 achieve and post your postfix configuration to this list using the
 output of the postconf -n command and explain in more detail what
 it is you're having difficulty with.

--
Primary Key: 4096R/1D31DC38 2011-12-03
Key Fingerprint: A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D  B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38