On 23-12-13 15:40, Wietse Venema wrote:
> nanotek:
>> Still, might be a good time to create my own CA and upgrade to
>> 4096 bit keys/certificates using SHA512 algorithms and make use
>> of some Diffie-Hellman ephemeral elliptic curve parameters for
>> perfect forward secrecy. I've read
>> http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html -- Postfix documentation
>> is exceptional by the way -- are there any guides for DHE?
>
> There is a work-in-progress document on forward secrecy that
> covers both EDH and EECDH. It shows how to configure things (the
> defaults should be sufficient for many applications) and what you
> can expect to see in logging and message headers.
>
> http://www.postfix.org/FORWARD_SECRECY_README.html
>
> I am still fixing it for clarity, but it should be accurate.
> Feedback is welcome.

After reading, I'm having some questions.

The document states that forward secrecy is supported by default on
recent postfix installs. However, the quick-start still has some
settings that apparently need tweaking.

Setting 'smtpd_tls_eecdh_grade = strong' is already available as
default (tested with postfix 2.10), so no actual work here.

Setting the files (and refreshing them using a cronjob) specified by
'smtpd_tls_mumble_param_file' is a bit unclear though. The default for
these params is empty, and setting them does not really show a
different behavior in postfix (i.e. using different ciphers and keys)
as far as visible from the logged information.

But since forward secrecy is supported by default, what does it help
to specify these params, and re-generate them once in a while? I've no
deep ssl knowledge, but the smtpd_tls_dh1024_param_file postconf
documentation seems to indicate that openssl distributes some kind of
defaults for these contents? Maybe it's a nice idea to make the
forward secrecy and/or postconf documentation a bit verbose on how
this works, and what benefits manual generation of these params has?

Tom