Hello again List,

I hope I can bother you again for an issue we have been noticing.
Occasionally, we will see random 550 bounces when resolving aliases stored
in LDAP. I have used postmap -q to verify the alias on each of our 3
Postfix mail relays and it resolves correctly. Our architecture is as
follows:

Perimeter mail relays --> Load Balancer --> 3 Postfix mail relays

A message comes in via the perimeter mail relays, and then is passed to one
of the 3 Postfix mail relays via the Load Balancer (Cisco device). Some of
our
virtual domains are stored locally in BDB and another is stored in LDAP.
The config. is as follows:

virtual_alias_domains = $config_directory/conf/virt-domains

virtual_alias_maps =
 proxy:ldap:$config_directory/conf/ldap-config.cf
 hash:$config_directory/virtual

The final delivery address is an Exchange 2010 server.
The issue we have been experiencing is that when resolving a LDAP alias, it
will occasionally result in bounced messages with a 550 error. Strangely
though, this happens to only a very small number of aliases. In cases where
this occurs, I checked the LDAP server logs and noticed that Postfix does
not send a search query to LDAP; in successful cases the search query is
sent. The Postfix logs do not show anything regarding the bounce either,
the perimeter mail relays and the client simply receive a "550 5.1.1
<e-mail.alias@domain>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown (in reply
to RCPT TO command);
We are running Postfix 2.6.6 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.3. Any ideas if
this is a known issue with this version -- perhaps issues with the LDAP
libraries or something else? Thanks again in advance for any suggestions.

Kind regards,

VM