Hi,

I relay transactional mail for my customer's web sites.
Each website has it's own SASL authenticated account and mail are sent via
submission or smtps.

But, some website doesn't verify email existence when a user submit a web form
or 'create an account'.
That's why I often see my postfix relay trying to send to non-existing email.
Sending again and again to non-existing mail can lowering my IP reputation and
waste ressources that's why I need a solution.

I can't force my customer to use some kind of email verification but I strongly
encouraged them to do it. Most of them don't care or have no
time/money/knowlegde to do it.

Fisrt, I need to have some stats about outgoing mail.
- What percentage of error 'User unknown' per account ? (Can you confirm that
every SMTP software bounce with error '550 5.1.1'  ?)
If someone can advice any script, I will be very grateful. Otherwise, i will
write it myself.
With these stats, I can then take necessary actions (lock account, …)

Second, maybe additional, I think about maintain a list of 'User unknown'
address.
Maybe, I could implement this (example with plain text file but it could be
SQL):

# master.cf
submission inet n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
  -o
smtpd_recipient_restrictions=check_recipient_access,hash:/etc/postfix/unknonwn_recipients,permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject
smtps inet n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
  -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
  -o
smtpd_recipient_restrictions=check_recipient_access,hash:/etc/postfix/unknonwn_recipients,permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject

$ cat /etc/postfix/unknonwn_recipients
bad_us...@example.com REJECT Unknown user
bad_us...@example.com REJECT Unknown user

And write a cron job to parse postfix logs and add 'Unknown user' email to
/etc/postfix/unknonwn_recipients.

Thank you for your feedback.

Alexandre