On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 04:21:17AM -0500, Ron Wheeler wrote:
> Fail2ban might be able to do the whack-a-mole in a sensible manner that
> allowed for innocent interruptions but banned the bad guys

For the kind of attempts I typically see, F2B won't do much. It's
usually not a brute force type of attach. Generally it's only a single
connection that either attempts to fingerprint the server (checking for
known vulns) or just tries a few "easy" passwords (e.g. root/root,
pi/raspberry).

I would suggest simple connection rate limiting and enforcing strong
passwords as a better (in my opinion) option.

--Sean