On Feb 12, 2017 21:07, "Wietse Venema" <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
> Last month it was 20 years ago that I started writing Postfix code.
> After coming to IBM research in November 1996, I spent most of
> December and January making notes on paper. I knew that writing a
> mail system was more work than any of my prior projects.
>
> The oldest tarball, dated 19970220, contains library functions plus
> two early versions of the master daemon. There are 8086 lines of
> code, 4204 lines after stripping the comments, and the only
> documentation was my pile of hand-written notes.

Let me add my thanks to the accolades expressed by others on this list
to you, Mr. Venema, and the other regular contributors.  I've already
talked about how I found the versatility of PostFix fixed problems at a
Web hosting company; let me add my personal experiences to the story:

I was the first paying customer for DSL in Reno NV, and was awarded the
booby prize of having to use the mail servers that Pacific Telesys
provided for its customers.  I found myself locked out of sending mail
to many destinations because of SORBS and other DNSBLs reacting to the
spew coming from "those" servers.  The final straw was when I found
myself locked out of contributing to the Linux Kernel list.

That was in 2000, or 16 years ago.

I had my own domain, satchell.net, using Register.com's DNS servers, so
I decided to operate my own mail server to avoid some of the blocks I
encountered with the ISP mail servers.  I looked at Sendmail and Qmail,
and got depressed.  Then I discovered PostFix, and successfully set up
my own mail server on Red Hat 6 -- first on a DHCP-allocated address,
then a static IP when Nevada Bell opened DSL provisioning to third
parties.

My initial experience was very positive.  It was later when I started
of many more of the features that the program offers.

I've gone through four iterations of personal mail server boxes, and
will be building a fifth sometime in Q2 of this year, when CentOS 7 is
rumoured to incorporate a reasonable up-to-date version of Postfix.
(Or, I'll compile from source if I have to -- the new mail server will
be dedicated to mail only, with Dovecot for IMAP.)

Let me say that the experience of running a personal PostFix server was
part of the reason I got the job at the Web hosting company...and the
rest of that experience you already know.

Again, thank you.