On 04/07/2017 01:38 PM, John Fawcett wrote:

On 04/07/2017 01:19 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
Robert Moskowitz:
I solved my mysql access problem with dovecot; turned out it was trying
a tcp connection and mysql is not listening on tcp.  Fixed that to use
mysql.sock.

So this got me digging into how postfix was successfully accessing
mysql.  I see in my various .cf files that access mysql that I have:

host= localhost

And reading the docs (what read the docs?), this tells postfix to
connect to mysql via the default UNIX domain socket.  How does it know
what the file handle is?  It seems to be working...
It doesn't. Postfix makes all MySQL requests through the mysql
library.  For best results, use the library that matches the server
(so that they use the same default socket, among other things).
I read this response to just leave it as host = localhost, as
everything is local on the one server.

should be

hosts = localhost

It is.  I should have cut and paste instead of typing from memory...

thanks